Sunday, September 7, 2008

National Parks

Last Sunday was Difficult Run. Not just a difficult run, but the Difficult Run. (Clever, right? Right?) I ran with a few others. (One ran sub 2:29 at St George 2006, one ran sub 2:39 at Boston 2008, etc.) We ran for 2:20. Lovely jaunt through the woods. I was hurting by the end -- of the first thirty minutes.

Today I explored the famous Rock Creek Park. (Excellent map -- click to zoom.) One of the largest urban parks in the world, this wooded preserve contains a wide range of natural, historical and recreational resources in the midst of metropolitan Washington, D.C. (Yes I ripped that from some government publication. Fair use!) I wanted to run the Western Ridge Trail -- in green on the map -- bottom to top, twice. Alas, I took many wrong turns. I arrived at the end of the trail (almost in Maryland) after 1:52. (Looking at the map now I see I was about 200 meters from Boundary Bridge. I will go to the bridge next time.) Getting back took much longer than I anticipated, mostly because I took a few more wrong turns. The result -- 2:57 this morning on the roads and trails. Awesome.

Summary: (1) I did not run the entire trail (not even close); (2) I never saw the Peirce Mill (although I did see the Jean Jules Jusserand Memorial. Close to the Peirce Mill, I know.); (3) I have no idea where I went wrong; and, NPS take note, (4) The trails are not well marked.

Next time: Bottom to top on the Western Ridge Trail. Three times.

No comments: