Friday, December 7, 2007

Making Running Easy

Everyone has a different trick to make the miles -- whether running, rowing, or biking -- go by faster. Some enjoy watching television. Others use music when training and when racing, despite the recent ban of iPods from official USA Track & Field events (including the Boston Marathon). Although I would not want to erg in a silent boathouse, I never run with headphones. But apparently I use "dissociation" when I run, focusing on breathing and posture and not the miles to go. An old coach of mine would yell "Clear your mind!" and the effect of heeding those three simple words can be startling.
A friend from law school (a triathlete) sent me a link to this excellent
article about tricking yourself into performing better. "The moral of the story? No matter how high you jump, how fast you run or swim, how powerfully you row, you can do better."

My favorite line?
"[M]aximum performance is associated with pain."

No comments: