Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hitting the Wall

Most runners know that hitting the wall (or bonking) is what happens when your body depletes all its glycogen stores. And most runners know how to avoid it. As a general rule, your body stores 2000 glycogen calories, and you burn 100 calories per mile. When your body depletes its glycogen stores, your body starts burning fat -- a highly inefficient way to make energy. That is why marathoners fear mile 20. (And why the 27-meter Heartbreak Hill -- between miles 20 and 21 at Boston -- inspires such terror.)

I always vaguely understood those technical details. But today, for the first time, I learned what hitting the wall really is. The weather was beautiful: 60 degrees and overcast. About 2 1/2 hours into the run, however, and 200 meters (truly) from my friend's car, I hit the wall. I could not take another step running (not that I was running terribly fast at that point). I had to walk. I had known for a few miles that I was empty, but I could still put one foot in front of the other. And then, all of a sudden, crash. I could almost see the finish line. But I could not run.

I am glad I now know the feeling, but what a terrible feeling. When did you last hit the wall?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember it well - horrible feeling - and one to be avoided if at all possible.

And now you know!