Sunday, January 27, 2008

Boston Prep 16 Miler

Today I ran the Boston Prep 16 Miler in beautiful Derry, NH. Quite a race. Here is an unofficial map of the course. Notice that the mountains in the emblem track the elevation gain (see the bottom of the map). So the course has some hills. And today we had snow as well, making the roads (unplowed) somewhat treacherous and the experience much more authentic (or so I was told). I wanted to break 1:40:00 (6:15 per mile). I ran 1:41:52 (6:22 per mile). Not horrible, but not my goal.
Unexpected Encounter: I ran into a friend from college whom I had not seen since commencement. (She drove all the way from Rhode Island!)
Best Line: If you look at the official results you will see that Furukawa beat me by eight seconds. He passed me with two miles to go and I just could not catch him. Right after crossing the finish line we shook hands. He said "Great race" and I said "Great finish. How many marathons have you run?" His response: "Including Ironmen?"

No comments: